Round Trip Monk Trail Hiking Wat Phra That Doi Suthep From Chiang Mai
Hiking Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. It is an 12 kilometer heavily trafficked round trip monk trail located near Chiang Mai city that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. While many tourists don’t know about this trail, it’s quite popular among ex-pats who live in Chiang Mai to hike up to the Doi Suthep temple (Wat Phra That Doi Suthep) along what’s called Monk’s Trail. The entire hike up is in the forest and parts of it are along a creek with some nice waterfalls here and there so we definitely recommend doing it. The view of the city is also very nice.
- Spend a half-day in the highland jungle of Doi Suthep – Pui National Park by foot.
- Enjoy hiking through thick jungle and trek ancient monk trails to Wat Suthep Temple and beyond.
- Enjoy convenient and comfortable round trip hotel transfer services included in the packages.
Round trip hotel transfer in Chiang Mai town
Lunch, drinking water & seasonal fruits
Tour Guide, Life Insurance
Tha Phae Gate
Tha Phae Gate
- Or, you can also get picked up from your hotel in Chiang Mai town.
- Please plan to meet your tour guide at your hotel lobby at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time
- If you arrive more than 10 minutes late or after we have moved from your hotel, you may be considered a no-shows
What To Expect
We climb to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep past Wat Pa Lat of Doi Pui National Park on the traditional monk Trail. Our Trailhead is at 400m elevation above Chiang Mai Zoo. This well-worn trail, shaded by large trees takes you straight up the mountain and the cool air greets you just above the city. The first 30-minute segment to Wat Pa Lat is a gentle incline, a great starter walks.
In the 2nd part, we tackle steep “step-like” terrain using tree roots to ground ourselves. This is the time where we appreciate our adjustable hiking sticks. At a leisurely pace, we reach Wat Suthep after a total of 2 hrs hiking to 1100 m elevation from 400m.
Here you are free to experience the early day temple life, visit the famous Wat Phra That Doi Suthep built-in 1383, and incredible valley views in your leisure time. After a light snack brunch at altitude, we start our 700-meter descent climbing relaxed down to Chiang Mai. If you chose the cycling down to Chiang Mai option you are gliding down in 20 minutes to Chiang Mai.
No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Not recommended for pregnant travelers
Most travelers can participate
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
- You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after booking completed.
- In the case that you do not receive an email from us, please check your Spam folder or notify us via email.
- You can present either a printing or a mobile voucher for this activity.
- Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
- Scheduling can change due to weather conditions without prior notice. You will be notified in advance.
- Due to bad weather the tour may be postponed or cancelled with a full refund.