Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle One Day Tour From Chiang Mai
Experience all the highlights of Chiang Rai province in one day including Golden Triangle, Wat Rong Khun (White Temple), Black House(Baan Dam Museum), and Wat Rong Suea Ten(Blue Temple). Chiang Rai is the most Northern Province in Thailand. It is bordering Myanmar and Laos at the famous golden triangle and home of the fantastic White Temple, Longneck tribes, and Mekong River. Chiang Rai has a lot to offer for those who love art, culture, and scenic landscapes. We will take you on an adventure to the land of hill tribes, poppy fields, smugglers, and drug lords. Explore the Golden Triangle, where Burma, Laos, and Thailand meet along the banks of the Mekong River. This area used to be the frontier of the US war on drugs, and you can still feel the atmosphere of this exciting place. Enjoy the convenience of round-trip hotel transfers for easy travel throughout the tour!
Round-trip transportation by air-conditioned car/minivan from Chiang Mai’s Old Town and Nimman area.
- Lunch, drinking water & seasonal fruits
- Tour Guide, Life Insurance
- Admission fee
- Extra charge for visit longneck village or boat trip 300 THB/Person/Activity
Tha Phae Gate
Tha Phae Gate, Tha Phae Road, Chang Khlan Sub-district, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Or, you can also get picked up from your hotel in Chiang Mai town.
- The exact pick-up time will be confirmed by email after you have made the booking.
- Please plan to meet your driver at your hotel lobby at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time.
- If you arrive more than 10 minutes late or after we have moved from your hotel, you may be considered a no-shows
What To Expect
After departing from your hotel in Chiang Mai, head straight to a hot spring rest stop to soothe your aches after a long drive. Visit Wat Rong Khun (White Temple) to see some of Thailand’s best-kept artistic achievements housed in an unconventional structure of Buddhist-inspired architecture. Enjoy a hearty course of Thai cuisine at a nearby restaurant before moving on to the Black House(Baan Dam Museum), another reputable destination in the arts featuring an eclectic mix of traditional and contemporary Thai houses and wooden sculptures.
Visit the Golden Triangle and witness the magnificent landscapes connecting Laos, Myanmar, and Thailand via the confluence of the Ruak and Mekong Rivers. Take a boat trip on the watery domestics lined along the borders (Option) and visit the Karen Village where the Karen Longneck tribe resides (Option). The tour ends as you return to your service van and drive back to your accommodation in Chiang Mai.
- For visiting the Wat Rong Khun Temple, You must honor the place by dressing in a casual dress code (or better). No flipper shoes (sneakers, sports shoes, or cut shoes are OK), No tank top (T-Shirt is OK), No short pants (long pair of jeans is OK)
- In any case, if your booking isn’t matched with reality when you show upfront (such as child’s age, child’s height, the number of people and etc), you are responsible to pay the additional charge upfront for the tour
- This is a joint tour, the operator will be picking up each guest in order, so please kindly wait patiently at your hotel. If waiting for too long, please contact the operator immediately
For those who do not visit Karen Long-neck Village, the tour guide will ask you to wait for others around 1 hour. You can spend your time at the near by market.
- On the rare occasion that we should be required to cancel a tour, we will inform you in advance and offer a different tour date, an alternative tour or provide a full refund
You can choose to finish the program at Central Plaza at Chiang Rai to stay there, but your bag should be small
- Please note that Chiang Rai is far away from Chiang Mai, so this trip involves a long drive in the minivan
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Child ticket age between 3-6 years
- Most travelers can participate
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
- You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after booking completed.
- In the case that you do not receive an email from us, please check your Spam folder or notify us via email.
- You can present either a printing or a mobile voucher for this activity.
- Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
- Scheduling can change due to weather conditions without prior notice. You will be notified in advance.
- Due to bad weather the tour may be postponed or cancelled with a full refund.
Similar Things To Do
Worth it, but lower your expectations
The Golden Triangle portion of this tour was terrible. The guide intensely pressured our group into paying 100bht extra per person to land in Laos and spend 30 minutes in a u201clocal marketu201d and then spent the majority of our boat ride not talking about the history of the Golden Triangle but instead telling us how lucky we were to go on this (paid for) tour and about the discount alcohol, cigarettes, and knock off designer goods available at the u201clocal marketu201d in Laos. And continued this sales pitch in the pouring rain as we struggled to dock. This u201clocal marketu201d was a not yet completed outlet mall. nLess problematic but still odd or unfortunate aspects of this tour: our guideu2019s level of English was barely functional (I ended up going on Wikipedia for site descriptions), dinner was not only not included even though we arrived home at 10pm but consisted of a 15 minute break at a 7/11, the tour had 12 people when max 10 people had been advertised.nnThe Black House Museum has cool architecture but is pretty much just a bunch of taxidermied animals and their skins inside-not interesting. nnBesides the above, our guide was kind, polite, and kept our group on schedule. The hot springs, white temple, and blue temple were amazing, and it was a gorgeous drive. The hill tribe village market was nice. The boat ride was beautiful and seeing Laos, Myanmar, and Thailand simultaneously was incredible. The driver was good and the vehicle was comfortable.
Mixed day with unwanted surprise addition
The White Temple, Blue Temple, Black Museum and Tribal Village are all great places to visit and the tour did take us to those places. nnThe tour guide did tell us some information about these places, but because of time constraints all this information was given while in the van and it was difficult to hear. nnUnfortunately the final stop, the Golden Triangle, ends up souring the whole day. nnWhen booking the tour there is an option to pay for a boat ride, but it is never made clear that this is the only thing to do at the Golden Triangle. If you donu2019t book this boat you will just be left to sit on a bench for an hour until the group finishes the boat ride - so why is it even an option, just include it in the tour. nnBut the worst part of the day was that the tour guide surprised everyone with another option that was NEVER mentioned until a few minutes before we arrived at the Golden Triangleu2026nnIf the entire group (of strangers) agreed to pay extra we could go visit Laos for 30 minutes. This leads to a very uncomfortable situation because most of the group didnu2019t want to go, but some did, so the rest felt pressured to go along with it.nnThe tour guide kept telling us how lucky we were to have this opportunity, but the visit to Laos is a huge waste of time. The only thing you do is go to a small market where you can buy cheap whisky or cigarettes or fake designer handbags. nnIt makes no sense that the tour schedules 30 mins to sit in a small Laos market, when they scheduled the same amount of time to visit the Black Museum and Blue Temple. We would much rather spent more time at those places that be pressured into visiting a Laos market. nnThe whole thing felt dodgy since it was never mentioned in the tour description. The Golden Triangle itself is not worth visiting anyway, itu2019s better to have a tour that spends more time at the other locations.
Long but worthwhile
It was a very long but worthwhile visit and tour to Chiang Rai. Our tour guide, Lady MM, was the best. She was very knowledgeable and gave us all the information about the temples before we arrived so we had context when actually seeing everything. The long neck Karen village is unique and an opportunity to shop there and support the tribe. Lunch was delicious and traditional Thai food in a local Thai restaurant. The trip going seems very short but be prepared for the 4-5 hour drive back from the border of Laos, Myanmar, and Thailand (Golden Triangle) to Chiang Mai. The road is very winding and the driver made several passes that were reckless, at times going very fast, and made us feel unsafe. The tour itself and the tour guide were worthwhile and would definitely recommend.