White Temple, Black House and Blue Temple Full Day Trip
Visit the famous White Temple, Black House and Blue Temple of Chiang Rai, the very northern province of Thailand. Learn the history and top landmarks of one of Thailand’s overlooked cities yet worth the extra mile. Complete with round trip transfers on your way to each destination, discover Chiang Rai Province through its rich culture kept in the White and Blue Temples (Wat Rong Khun and Wat Rong Sear Tean, respectively), its notable design a significant shift from the traditional Thai golden temples. Venture further into the sleepy town’s prominent architecture in the form of wooden artistry at the Baan Dam Museum (The Black House). Built by nationally renowned artist Thawan Duchanee, a visit to The Black House property is guaranteed an extraordinary experience – witness a sprawling series of sculptures, displays, and installations of both orthodox and unorthodox Buddhist persuasions exhibited in the museum-slash-modern-home.
- Round-trip transportation by air-conditioned car/minivan from Chiang Mai’s Old Town and Nimman area
- Lunch, drinking water & seasonal fruits
- Tour guide, life Insurance
- Temple admission fee
- Karen Long-neck tribe admission fee(300 THB/PAX)
Tha Phae Gate
Tha Phae Gate, Tha Phae Road, Chang Khlan Sub-district, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Or, you can also get picked up from your hotel in Chiang Mai town
- If you arrive more than 10 minutes late or after we have moved from your hotel, you may be considered a no-shows
- Please plan to meet your driver at your hotel lobby at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time
- The exact pick-up time will be confirmed by email after you have made the booking
What To Expect
Start your day with a relaxing immersion at the Mae Kajan Hot Spring, then head to Wat Rong Khun, the spectacular White Temple is known for its hauntingly beautiful blend of cultural and contemporary details. Designed by Thai National Artist Chalermchai Kositpipat, the temple features an entrance with outstretched hands, a Predator jutting from the ground, as well as a number of other pop culture references within the dazzling white structure. Then head over to the Blue Temple, which is new and relatively undiscovered. The lack of crowds is just an added bonus, though, as the temple boasts a beautiful vibrant blue color.
Stop by for a buffet lunch at the restaurant, then head off to the Black House, a museum, and also the home of the National Artist Dr. Thawan Duchanee. There you’ll find a complex of dark and eerily designed buildings, filled with bones, skulls, fur, and feathers, displayed and arranged as though an exhibit, but also as homely ornamentation. It’s a fascinating immersion in the Thai north, one that captivates with its beauty, as well as its mystery.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- For visiting the Wat Rong Khun Temple, You must honor the place by dressing in a casual dress code (or better). No flipper shoes (sneakers, sports shoes, or cut shoes are OK), No tank top (T-Shirt is OK), No short pants (long pair of jeans is OK)
- Please note that Chiang Rai is far from Chiang Mai, so this trip involves a long drive in the minivan. The trip duration can reach a maximum of 13-14 hours, depending on the traffic along the way and the road conditions.
- In any case, if your booking isn’t matched with reality when you show upfront (such as child’s age, child’s height, the number of people and etc), you are responsible to pay the additional charge upfront for the tour
- This is a joint tour, the operator will be picking up each guest in order, so please kindly wait patiently at your hotel. If waiting for too long, please contact the operator immediately
On the rare occasion that we should be required to cancel a tour, we will inform you in advance and offer a different tour date, an alternative tour or provide a full refund
For those who do not visit Karen Long-neck Village, the tour guide will ask you to wait for others around 1 hour. You can spend your time at the near by market.
- You can choose to finish the program at Central Plaza at Chiang Rai to stay there, but your bag should be small
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Child ticket age between 3-6 years
- Most travelers can participate
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
- You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after booking completed.
- In the case that you do not receive an email from us, please check your Spam folder or notify us via email.
- You can present either a printing or a mobile voucher for this activity.
- Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
- Scheduling can change due to weather conditions without prior notice. You will be notified in advance.
- Due to bad weather the tour may be postponed or cancelled with a full refund.
Similar Things To Do
A great day out!
Great tour, just enough time at each place. Please make sure you listen to the guide and adhere to the timings given otherwise your actions have a knock on affect on the time available at the next stops. nOur guide was fantastic; very knowledgeable about the places we were visiting and the history of Thailand itself as well as Buddhism; I felt I learnt an awful lot on this tour. nWe were dropped at each place to tour independently at our leisure, other than at the long necked Kayan village where we were shown around by our guide.nLunch was great, plentiful and very tasty (and no upset tummy.)
What tour guide?
The tour guide never introduced herself. When we made a stop we were the last to crawl out from the back. Being older we were slow to catch up to the group as the guide did not wait. When we did reach the group, she was already finishing her explanation of the location.nFortunately the driver was always there to assist us and point us in the right direction. Temples were lovely and made the trip a three star.
Thanks to MM my friend and I had a great time at the white and blue temples. We also had the chance to visit the black house and the longneck tribe. MM made sure we get all the details beforehand, when we took the ride to the sights, so we didnu2019t lose any time to when we were there. She was very fun to talk to and had very big knowledge which she lovely shared with us. Thank you very much!!! It was a pleasure to meet you :) best regards Marvin and Jessica
Long day but worth it
The first stop in the morning were the hotsprings, not impressive. It's just nice to take a break, see the shops and buy a smoothie before we head to the first temple. The white temple was beautiful. Bring clothes that cover your shoulders and knees, they check before hou go in. nYou have to know that you spend a long time in the van, as discribed. Sadly our van wasn't comfortable. My man his knees didn't fit between his seat and the one in front of him. So it was challenging to find a good position to sit/sleep without bothering other people.nnLunch was included, in the afternoon we got a bottle of water.nAfter that we went to another nice temple and the black house. The last stop was Karens village, you had to pay 300 bath extra if you want to visit it (we read there was not much to see). Only 3 people paid extra, so we had to wait with the rest of the group for 20-30min in the heat. Luckily there was shade and a little shop.nnAfter all we saw a lot, the tour was worth the money!
Overall had a great day visiting the 2 temples and the black museum! Very different and unique architecture compared to that of Bangkok. Tour guide was very useful providing information on each of the sites before letting us go off an explore on our own. I would definitely recommend downloading Instagram before visiting the Black Museum, I won't say why...but you'll be impressed. Only downside of this tour was that the drive there and back wasn't amazing, due to the driver driving a bit recklessly and fast. Its a 3 hour trip one way from Chiang Mai and I would have rather the driver took 3 hours and drive without causing me a headache than trying to shave off 15 minutes on the tour. Good thing was we did take a break half way to use the restroom and buy food.
I would recommend! Although time spend at the temples was enough, it was short
Seeing the tempels of Chiang Rai in a day is duable with this tour! The pick-up was good and you do spent some time in the van, but that's logical since it's a 3 hour drive to Chiang Rai. I do recommend it, although the time spend at some temples is short. The only thing I didn't like was the last stop at the longneck village. Some people booked it, others didn't. I didn't, but had to wait on the group to get back. My suggestion would be that they separate the groups into two; those which want to visit longneck and those who don't. And when you don't, you can spend more time at the temples, instead of waiting 45 minutes. I can see why logistically this is not optimal, but it would make the tour better
Hot Springs, White Temple, Thai Lunch, Blue Temple and Black House - amazing sights!
A great day out in Chiang Rai. My tour guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Each place had its own breathtaking sights, personality and wonderful stories to tell. Lunch offered a range of Thai dishes which were lovely.
Lovely day learning a lot
My favourite part was meeting the Long Neck Karen village people. They appear to be making a living from tourists visiting and it doesnu2019t not exploit them or impact them negatively. The temples were all very interesting to visit too. There are definitely a lot of tourists there but it is well managed. The drive was long but pleasant as well. Lunch was also an amazing spread!
Our tour guide Holly and driver Pu2019Num were wonderful! Holly was very nice and knowledgeable. I had a big family and they were able to accommodate all of us! The temples were beautiful. We didnu2019t go to the black house because one party was not feeling good. They were able to take us back to our hotel. Holly and Pu2019Num were very nice about it. One day Holly will become a wonderful professional tour guide!