Maeklong Railway Market and Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
Maeklong Railway Market and Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour. Offering tours to see the local lifestyles of the Thai people, visit The Maeklong Railway Market and Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. The Maeklong Railway Market, the railway became famous for its route through the market, nicknamed Talat Rom Hup meaning the “umbrella pulldown market”. It is one of the largest fresh seafood markets in Thailand and is centered on the Maeklong Railway’s track. Whenever a train approaches, the awnings and shop fronts are moved back from the rails, to be replaced once the train has passed. Damnoen Saduak Floating Market consists of a maze of narrow canals. Female traders, often wearing traditional Mo Hom apparel with wide-brimmed straw hats (Ngob) use sampans to sell their wares, often produce.
- Enjoy the unique experience to reach the Maeklong Railway Market by taking a local train.
- Visit Damnoen Saduak, the most famous floating market in Thailand filled with colorful boat vendors to explore.
- Small-group tour limited to 12 for a more personalized experience.
- Train ride, Longtail boat fee to the floating market
Bottled water, cold towel
- English-speaking guide
- Extra transfer charge 300 THB/Pax from Silom, Sukhumvit, and Pratunam
- Hotel pickup and drop-off within Bangkok
River City BANGKOK
PGJ7+37 Bangkok, Thailand
- Or, you can also get picked up. There is a transfer service for Silom, Sukhumvit, and Pratunam, pay extra directly to the driver 300 baht/person (round trip).
What To Expect
Meet a small group of people at the meeting point in downtown Bangkok by 06:30 AM and board an air-conditioned van and drive about 45 minutes to Ban Na Kwang train station to take a local train to Maeklong Railway Market. Wonder at the intricacies of this market workings and people. This market is nicknamed Talat Rom Hup in Thai which means the “umbrella pulldown market”. It is one of the largest fresh seafood markets in Thailand and is centered on the Maeklong Railway’s track. Whenever a train approaches, the awnings and shop fronts are moved back from the rails, to be replaced once the train has passed.
After exploring the Railway Market, you will continue to visit Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. When you arrive at the market, see the amazing array of vendors in their boats, selling fresh products, from fruits and vegetables to prepared dishes. Explore the floating market at your leisure for about an hour and take time to try some authentic Thai foods, such as Pad Thai, Mango Sticky Rice, Boat Noodles or Coconut Ice Cream sold along the canal. Meet up with your guide to head back to the meeting point in Bangkok, where you will arrive around 01:30pm – 02:00pm.
- On the rare occasion that we should be required to cancel a tour, we will inform you in advance and offer a different tour date, an alternative tour or provide a full refund
- You come by yourself to meeting point. There is a transfer service for Silom, Sukhumvit, and Pratunam, pay extra directly to the driver 300 baht/person (round trip).
Dress code is smart casual and the minimum age is 5 years
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
- You will receive a confirmation email and voucher instantly after booking completed.
- In the case that you do not receive an email from us, please check your Spam folder or notify us via email.
- You can present either a printing or a mobile voucher for this activity.
- Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
- Scheduling can change due to weather conditions without prior notice. You will be notified in advance.
- Due to bad weather the tour may be postponed or cancelled with a full refund.
Similar Things To Do
An interesting & fun day out
Both the railway and floating markets were fascinating places to visit. Our guide, Khun Sara and driver, Khun Aok were both very helpful. The mini-bus was more comfortable than some experienced, too. Khun Sara supplied lots of information and also introduced us to a small village temple - quite different to many others - as we were early for our train. This trip took us to a station ahead of where most tours alight so we were almost guaranteed good seats - a real bonus. Everything was arranged well, including boat trip at the floating market, plus the lunch stop there (a small extra charge) was good. Tour finished in central Bangkok by a main BTS station to make return hotel travel easy and avoid over-priced taxis at the River City start point - again very thoughtful. This was a short day trip, so allowed plenty of time to explore in Bangkok on return, too.
Overall excellent experience.
Started on time. Delivered as described. Guide very concerned with safety and wellbeing of group. Throwback experience to local life as it was in Bangkok 30-40 years ago. Be aware that it is very hot humid and need to be physically agile for this experience.
Trip to the floating markets
We had a great trip and were so pleased we went. The tour guide was great and we were very well looked after all day. The train ride to the floating markets gave us a real sense of life in Thailand and the experience at the markets was incredible. nThe food we had was enjoyable too. nThe only thing I would have changed was to suggest a hotel pick up or a more central meeting point to navigate to in Bangkok.
Memorable trip to Floating and Railway Markets!
We recently visited the Railway market and Floating market near Bangkok. Our tour guide Mindy was awesome. She explained all the historical background about the markets on the way to the markets. Both the markets are an hour away from Bangkok. We went on the train to the Mae Klong market from Ban Kalong which was a great experience. The railway market is worth visiting. After that we drove for 20 min to reach the Floating market. You can get lot of good food and souvenirs (haggling is allowed) at the floating market. Overall we really enjoyed the 6 hours tour. Highly recommended.
Not happy with different drop off.
The tour guide was good. It was hard at times for her to keep people on time. nMy main concern was that I signed up for this particular tour because it left from River City Bangkok and said it returned to that starting location. It did not - we were dropped at the MBK mall. I had no idea where I was; the guide just said catch a cab; and it took me a while to get back to my location as I do not have a Thailand SIM card I would have done the less expensive tour that was leaving from River City Bangkok and ending at different location.
Train and floating markets
We started our journey at River City shopping centre where we met our guide Tanya. There was a short drive to a drive in centre where we stopped for about 40 mins to buy coffee and breakfast we then drove onto the train station. On arrival we were shown the salt fields and Tanya explained how these fields were used to harvest the salt, we then had time to take pictures before the train came for our onward journey into the market. If you were quick (and fortunate) you could get a seat on the train and view the market stalls that are set out over the train tracks lift their awnings and move out of the way of the oncoming train. A wonderful experience where the market crowd outside were cheering and waving to the train passengers just inches away! We were then taken to the floating market, where Tanya continued to share her knowledge about Thailand and the area with the tourist group, her experience, laughter and friendliness shone throughout the day! As there was a queue for the river market boats when we arrived, Tanya suggested we have some time to stroll around the u2018normalu2019 market and buy some lunch and refreshments (Pad Thai was about 100 bahts and drives 50 bahts). We then got into the boats and slowly rowed the river past the stalls on the banks, where the traders will try and sell you their wares, remember this is their living after all! It was another great experience and Iu2019d recommend it to anyone who enjoys Thai culture and markets!
Awesome trip but poor guide.
The two markets are both unique experiences and well worth the trip but our guide was very inexperienced, hardly spoke English and had no clue of what was going to happen next and what visitors would normally need to know. There were plenty of small groups travelling with other guides so we ended up asking them about the program and locations.
Nice half-day relaxed sight seeing in Bkk
The Tour was awesome. The guide, Viktor, was very nice and made sure everyone was taken care of and comfortable. He spoke very clear English and I learned a lot about the History of the places we went to. The places chosen for the tour and the duration spend was also very good planned.
Good tour and tour guide. Transport needs improvement.
The tour guide was very knowledgeable and helpful. He was always willing to help with advice and give suggestions for follow up visits. The pace of the tour was also good - not rushed. The minibus we took had issues. The bus ride was 2 hours either way. Air-conditioning was not working properly and everyone in the bus were affected by the heat. It did not seem like the aircon was working properly and although we got back quickly, the speed it took caused quite a few bumps here and there on the road.
Le transport en mini van tru00e8s pu00e9nible. Nous u00e9tions assises, coincu00e9es u00e0 l'arriu00e8re. nPas de place pour les jambes, aucun amortisseurs et aucune vue. Un cercueil sur roues. Claustrophobe, fuyez!n2 heures de route ainsi, c'est pu00e9nible. nGuide approximatif. Pas tru00e8s organisu00e9 et sans explications. n
Train Market Top
Wer auf diesen Markt gehen mag, dem ist dieser Veranstalter absolut zu empfehlen. Wir sind einmal durch den Markt gefahren und haben dann noch geschaut wie er durch den Markt fu00e4hrt.nFloating Market halte ich fu00fcr eine u00fcberflu00fcssige Touristenveranstaltung, aber okayu2026
Excelente. Estuvieron a tiempo en el punto de encuentro. Buena organizaciu00f3n. Me habru00eda gustado estar mu00e1s tiempo en el mercado en las vu00edas del tren para poder comprar cosas. nnAl regreso, te dejan en el MBK que es una especie de mall donde hay muchu00edsimas cosas a comprar a buenos precios. Cuidado con los lugares de souvenirs, siempre venden todo caru00edsimo. nnRecomiendo el tour al 100%
Vale la pena
Un recorrido con un grupo pequeu00f1o en una minivan. Bien organizado, la guu00eda, Kiwi, era una mujer muy amable y nos dio buenos tips en ambos mercados. Pudimos observar la llegada del tren al mercado tanto desde el tren como desde el mercado. Despuu00e9s acudimos al mercado flotante, donde tomamos un bote y posteriormente comimos muy rico. El regreso fue al MBK center, no al riverside